Dr. Darrow graduated from Northwestern University, and has a Medical degree from the University of Hawaii. He completed his Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency at the University of California School of Medicine. After college, Dr. Darrow completed a Doctorate in Jurisprudence from Golden Gate University College of Law in San Francisco, as well as a Masters of Business Taxation from the University of Southern California (and actually practiced law for 15 years prior to his medical career).
After several sports injuries, Dr. Darrow was healed by self-injections of Prolotherapy (short for proliferation therapy”) which promotes rapid, and prolific, growth of cartilage, and collagen, the structural protein of the body. By rejuvenating injured or worn connective tissue, musculoskeletal pain can be reduced or eliminated.
After realizing the healing potential of the then little-known Prolotherapy, Dr. Darrow devoted his regenerative medicine practice to many thousands of patients suffering from debilitating pain. Dr. Darrow has becoming a leading expert and teacher of Stem Cell Prolotherapy, Platelet Rich Plasma, and Prolotherapy for treating conditions from head to foot, including advanced bone on bone osteoarthritis. He finds it unnecessary to refer patients for elective musculoskeletal surgery, and uses the by-line “Take the Surgery Out Of Pain” on his KRLA weekly radio shows.
As an adjunct to health, Dr. Darrow’s wife, Michelle Darrow, is a Nurse Practitioner, who teaches the Ideal Protein weight loss program. In addition, she performs cosmetic procedures with Botox and Dermal fillers such as Juvederm, and is certified in the Vampire Face Lift (a cosmetic procedure of injecting Platelets) that Kim Kardashian made famous.
ASSISTANT CLINICAL PROFESSOR
UCLA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Board Certified, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Qualified Medical Examiner
St. John’s Hospital, Santa Monica, California
New Trier High School, Winnetka, Illinois
Northwestern University, Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Golden Gate University College of Law, Doctor of Jurisprudence
University of Southern California, Masters of Business Taxation
University of Hawaii, John Burns School of Medicine, MD
Presbyterian-St. Lukes Hospital, Denver, CO, Transitional Internship
UCLA Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency Training
Rhone-Poulenc Rorer Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Scholarship.
Pan-Pacific Surgical Association Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Research.
Medical Research Award for Outstanding Achievement In the Field of Research.
RESEARCH PAPERS (Peer Reviewed)
1) Darrow M, Foulkes G, Ayoub M. “Zoonotic Transmission of Turtle-Borne Edwardsiella tarda.” Infect Med 10(4): 33-359 1993.
2) Leckie R, Darrow M, Delaplain C. “Salmonella Osteomyelitis in an HLA-B27 Patient.” PMID: 8482035 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Clin Nuc Med 18(4): 346-347, 1993.
3) Leckie R, Deloplain C, Watabe J, Darrow M. “Thyroid Hemagenesis by Iodine-123 Thyroid Scan With High Resolution Real Time Ultrasound Confirmation.” PMID: 8432068 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Clin Nuc Med 18(2), 1993.
4) Darrow M, Foulkes G, Richmann P, De Los Reyes C, Ayoub M. “Atypcal infections of the Hand: 2 Cases.” PMID: 8776082 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Am J Orthopaedics. December,1995, 914-7.
5) Darrow M, Brammer WK, Rowley A. Thyrotoxic Periodic Paralysis. PMID: 7605191 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Arch Phys Med Rehab. Vol 76, July 1995.
6) Darrow M, Mevorak B. “Magnetic Resonance in the Treatment of Calcific Tendonitis.” Complementary Health Practice Review, Vol. 9, No. 2, 129-137 (2004)
RESEARCH PAPERS (Completed but not yet published)
Darrow M, Gordon L. “Clinical Study on Low Back Pain Before & After Fusion & Wiltse Internal Stabilization.”
Darrow M, Reynolds JC, Robbins J, Ain KB, et seq. False-Positive Identification of Thyroid Cancer Metastasis Using Iodine-131. Awaiting clearance at National Institute of Health.
Darrow M, Scremin AE. “Cooling and Exercise In Multiple Sclerosis.”
Brink J, Darrow M. “Late metastasis of In-situ Breast Cancer.”
RESEARCH PAPERS (In progress)
Darrow M. “Magnetic Resonance for the Treatment of Pain.”
Darrow M. “Prolotherapy Injections and Pain Reduction.”
INCLUDED IN OTHER BOOKS
Alternative Medicine, the Definitive Guide, Publisher: The Burton Goldberg Group. Chapter: Prolotherapy, co-author.
1) “Shoulder Strain: Prolotherapy is an effective, nonsurgical option for wheelchair users with chronic shoulder pain.” Advance for Directors in Rehabilitation February 2004, Vol. 13, No. 2, p. 49-52.
2) “Waves of Healing: Therapeutic ultrasound is a versatile tool with a range of uses.” Advance for Directors in Rehabilitation March 2003, Vol. 12, No. 3, p. 61-62.
3) “Going the Distance, Overuse Knee Syndromes.” Advance for Directors in Rehabilitation July 2004, Vol. 13, No. 7, p.27
4) “Pain Points: Injecting Relief.” Advance for Directors in Rehabilitation July 2003, Vol. 12, No. 7, P.21
POPULAR PUBLICATIONS (Featured or mentioned in article)
Muscle & Fitness Magazine
“An Innovative Solution for Aching Joints?”
Los Angeles Magazine
“Back in Business: Surgery Isn’t Always the Spinal Answer”
Golf Today Magazine
“When You Feel Below Par”
Pittsburgh Sports Report
“Complementary And Alternative Therapies”
March 29, 2004
Journal of Longevity
“Emerging Medical Therapy for Arthritis and Joint Pain”
LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS
1) Prolotherapy Injections for Pain Management.
Monthly workshop for UCLA-VA PM&R Residents.
2) Back Pain: Non-Surgical Management.
St. John’s Hospital and Century City Hospital, CME.
3) Shoulder Pain & Imaging Methods. UCLA-VA PM&R Residents.
4) Neurogenic Bladder and Spinal Cord Injury. UCLA-VA PM&R Residents.
5) Scoliosis. UCLA-VA PM&R Resdents.
6) Physical Medicine Modalities. UCLA-VA PM&R Residents.
7) Darrow M, Foulkes G, Ayoub M. ” Zoonotic Transmission of Turtle-Borne Edwardsiella tarda.” Infect Med 10 (4): 33-359 1993. Presented as Visiting Faculty at Musculoskeletal Infection Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Snowmass, Colorado. Presented at American College of Physicians Science Meeting, Honolulu. Presented at University of Hawaii Biomedical Sciences Symposium.
8) Darrow M, Foulkes G, Richmann P, De Los Reyes C, Ayoub M. “Atypcal infections of the Hand: 3 Cases.” Am J Orthopaedics. December,1995, 914-7. Presented at Musculoskeletal Infection Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Snowmass, Colorado, August
9) Darrow M, Gordon L. “Clinical Study on Low Back Pain Before & After Fusion & Wiltse Internal Stabilization.” Presented at 7th Annual Combined Orthopaedic Symposium. Presented at University of Hawaii Medical School Biomedical Sciences Symposium.
Medical License, California: A54550
Qualified Medical Examiner, State of California.
Admitted to practice Law: California and New York; United States Tax Court; United States Supreme Court.
California Real Estate Broker. Hawaii Real Estate Sales.
LA Bar Association
American Academy of Orthopedic Medicine
American Academy of Medical Acupuncture